ZJ Beny EV charger review

@Charlie1, thanks for the photos and feedback of the new solar DLB unit. Looks like it’s been completely redesigned and is also din-rail mounted, making it much easier to install.

Tradezone doesn’t yet have it in stock, but I’d expect them to get it in soon.

1 Like

Has anyone got the 3 phase version of the new DLB running? I was wondering how it behaved with a single phase car?

The ZJ Beny Selection Guide doc states:

1-Phase from 1.3kW to 7.4kW
3-Phase from 4.1kW to 22kW

Would I be right in assuming that the limit is actually on current, so that if I bought the 3 phase EVSE, then it would actually output 1.3kW to 7.4kW to a single phase car? Or would the lower limit be 4.1 kW?

My second question is how the DLB handles unbalanced phases? If I’m exporting say 9 kW (3 kW per phase) before plugging the car in, I’d obviously like it to charge at the full 7.4 kW, but is this how the system behaves? Or does it balance per-phase, so would only send 3 kW to the car in this situation?

Thanks to the early adopters in being so generous with information here.

@PVEVHP, from what I have heard, a 3-phase charger will split the power evenly across the 3 phases. For example, if you have a 11kW 3-phase charger, it will only deliver 3.6kW per phase, which means connecting to an EV that only accepts single-phase AC charging like the BYD Atto 3, then it will only charge at a max of 3.6kW.

Therefore, if you purchase a 3-phase charger, it’s worth getting a 22kW 3-phase model and a full 32A 3-phase supply so you can charge at 7kW per phase.

Thanks for that, I agree that a 16A charger wouldn’t be a good idea (I don’t think ZJ Beny even sell an 11 kW model), to that end I’m planning to get a 22 kW EVSE, I’ve already had cables roughed in that are rated for 40A per phase, along with two ethernet cables.

I understand that 22 kW 3-phase should enable me to charge a car with a single phase charger at up to 7.4 kW.

What I’m not sure about is the behaviour at less than full speed:

The ZJ Beny Selection Guide doc states:

1-Phase from 1.3kW to 7.4kW
3-Phase from 4.1kW to 22kW

Would I be right in assuming that the limit is actually on current, so that if I bought the 3 phase EVSE, then it would actually output 1.3kW to 7.4kW to a single phase car? Or would the lower limit be 4.1 kW?

My second question is how the DLB handles unbalanced phases? If I’m exporting say 9 kW (3 kW per phase) before plugging the car in, I’d obviously like it to charge at the full 7.4 kW, but is this how the system behaves? Or does it balance per-phase, so would only send 3 kW to the car in this situation?

I believe so.

I’d be very surprised if it did. These boxes are just glorified switches as far as the power is concerned, and with a single-phase car it’s probably just going to ignore two phases.

Yes, it does output 1.3kW to 7.4kW to a single phase car. The 4.1kW limit is the lowest current the 3-phase charger will operate. (The lower limit on my Single-phase Beny charger 1.3kW)

In regards to how it handles unbalanced loads, I’m not sure how it balances the charge current? That’s a good question

Has anyone else had any luck sourcing the Aus DLB unit? Tradezone just emailed me and aren’t carrying any ZJBeny stock going forward, and I’m struggling to find anyone who is stocking the single phase unit.

Someone posted somewhere on Whirlpool recently that they’d had an update from Ultipower (ultipower.com.au) saying they’re awaiting a shipment.

I got a replacement Aus DLB for single phase from UPF.operation@ultipower.com. au
Josh 1300757577. Brisbane
Very happy with ZjBenny in Solar mode. Powers the house from Solar first and then what is over goes to my ATTO 3 .A great economical system. I just connect around 8.30am and let ZjBenny do the rest.

1 Like

@Svarky thanks again for your insights for the charger and correct positioning for the CT’s.
I managed to get the original Solar DLB running as intended. First attempt gave the DLB error, but a quick repositioning of the CT’s solved that, and now have both hybrid and full PV mode running properly.

Good to hear. Can you please confirm what the pricing was from Utilipower for the Aus DLB unit? Thank you

Talk to Josh from ultipower about pricing!

Quick update - Ultipower currently don’t carry stock of the revised DLB, (and weren’t able to tell me when / if they would) Tradezone no longer wish to carry ZJBeny, but Blue Sun Group were quick off the mark and had one shipped pretty much immediately. ($180 delivered) No manual or booklet included however…

1 Like

Utilipower now have a link to the manual for the new unit:

Be patient; it takes quite a while to download.

2 Likes

Solargain WA have been very helpful, and have sorted out my DLB unit.
They have the Aus DLB unit in stock.
The PV only mode now works really well.
Although my 22kw 3ph charger needs 4kw minimum to function, so if I’m only generating 2kw from Solar, it draws the additional 2kw from the grid.

I’m looking at page 25 of the new manual, with a diagram labelled DLB voltage signal acquisition line connection, showing power from a distribution board connected to the connectors at the base of the DLB unit. Is this connection required? What’s its purpose?

@Svarky I think we ran into each other in Eden recently? In the white Atto 3? Either way my sparky is coming Tuesday to instal the new Aussie solar DLB unit (thanks @ShaneS for the instal manual), has anyone got any insight as to which way the CT clamps should be installed? With arrows as shown in the manual?

@ChrisB, haha yes I recall talking to someone in Eden about the car, or was it in Bermi?

CT clamps are often non-directional, depending on where they are located. However, from the new installation manual, it looks like there will be an arrow on the CT to indicate the correct direction. Do you have the new DLB unit yet?

Yes I did get the new DLB unit. It’s getting installed today. :crossed_fingers:it will then work properly.

There weren’t any arrows on mine, just a brand name or numbers on one side.
If they don’t have arrows make sure the brand name or writing is on the same side. If they don’t face the same side you will get a “wiring fault” message and it will shut down.