ZJ Beny EV charger review

I thought I’d share my experience installing a ZJ Beny EV charger. This is by far one of the best value ‘smart’ EV chargers available at only $675, including the CT clamp.

Overall, the charger appears to be well made and comes with all the accessories to enable load-balancing using the DLB box.
One frustrating thing is that the PV (solar) load-balancing feature requires a different Solar DLB Box, as the standard DLB which comes with the unit is non-directional and only works with basic load-balancing. I’m in the process of ordering the solar DLB unit.
The plastic front cover is quite thin and just snaps on, but it looks great once installed.

I’m still waiting for my EV to arrive (BYD Atto 3), so haven’t actually had a chance to test it yet. Stay tuned!

Hi Svarky,
Are you able to check whether the OCPP server address is configurable (this would allow the use of a custom server/app rather than the ZJ Beny default).

The configuration for it probably requires navigation to the charger on the local network once the charger is connected to WiFi. If you can navigate to it by entering the ip address of the charger in your browser and report back you findings it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

@Nef, I do not have the OCPP settings on my app. I have the smart DLB model (BCP-A2N-L).

OCPP is optional, so you have to order the specific model with this feature…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @Svarky

Yeah, I was wondering/hoping that the models with L at the end (which are more widely available) were actually just preconfigured P models with the OCPP server pointing to whatever ZJ BENY’s app uses.

Did you happen to see what comes up when navigating to the charger on your LAN through a web browser? (note: it probably doesn’t have 192.168.1.1 as its LAN IP address like the screeshots below show)

BTW, I’m also waiting on an ATTO 3!

Here’s the DLB box installed in the meterbox. As mentioned earlier, a separate (optional) Solar DLB box and additional CT clamp are required to enable the solar charging modes. The normal DLB box comes with one non-directional CT clamp and cannot be used to enable solar-only charging!
One bonus is that the DLB box is powered by the ethernet cable connected to the charger, so no power connection is required in the switchboard.

I’m not sure what the price of the Solar DLB box is yet?

Automating EV Charging with a Solar Array is actually the main reason why I’m so interested in OCPP compatibility.

By running an OCPP server on my network, I’ll be able to schedule charging and limit amps based upon solar production and whether the house batteries are full.

@Nef Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find the charger on my LAN network. I’m not familiar with the OCPP protocol, but it sounds impressive and I’m keen to learn how to use it to manage solar charging.

@Svarky There’s a couple of options on how OCPP helps integrate ev charging with solar generation.

There are companies that run a service (eg. chargehq) that will pull data from compatible solar inverters and adjust you ev charger appropriately. In this case you would change the OCPP server address to that of the service provider.

My plan is to do the above through my existing home automation system, which already has access to my solar system. The home automation system (Home Assistant) has an OCPP server “addon”, which an EV Charger can be configured to point to if it supports OCPP.

Regarding seeing the Beny on your network, is the app able to see it? If it can then it should be on the network. The easiest way is probably to look at the connected clients list on your router.