BYD Atto 3 V2L load testing - Vehicle-to-load power output

Hi @Lauren, unfortunately the problem is the permanent MEN link in your switchboard. The Victron Multiplus cannot override a fixed connection. In Australia, the MEN must not be removed in a permanent off-grid installation (it can only be legally removed in a mobile system).

I did have issues in my system and had to disable the MEN link in order to use V2L. To overcome this, I have started using a separate (2000w) 48V battery charger which is isolated from the AC switchboard. It’s more expensive, but this is the only way I could legally use V2L going forward. In other countries, this is not a problem as they can use the automatic internal earth link feature in the Mulitplus.

There is a new diagram towards the bottom of this article which shows the setup I described using a separate battery charger - Vehicle-to-load Explained - V2L for backup power — Clean Energy Reviews

Thank you so much Jason for your quick reply. Are you please able to advise on the components you have setup in order to do this seperate charging? It sounds like the way to go. Can I still use the batteries to power my house while charging with that setup? As I planned to use the BYD to charge overnight.

@Lauren, the components are quite simple if you have a common lead-acid or (self-managed) lithium battery system. You need to check what type of battery you have, and you will need someone who knows what they are doing to connect it correctly (it cannot bypass the shunt if your system has a DC shunt).

Yes, you can still use the system to power your house as normal while the batteries are charging via V2L.

It’s basically just a 48V battery charger connected to your battery bank (assuming you have a 48V system). Although, the 48V chargers a quite expensive. Golf cart chargers are generally 48V and can be a good cheaper option.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your time answering my questions.

Informative thread, thank you. We have a Powerwall, solar and an Atto.
Is there a way the battery solar system can be wired so the atto can charge the Powerwall during a grid outage? The idea being the Atto pushes a topping up charge of 2000w into the battery simultaneously as the battery can provide up to 7kw to the home. Conceptually the Powerwall can deliver more amps than the Atto and the PW is already configured to run the backup circuits… Would seem to be an elegant solution if it’s not defying the laws of physics:)?

Unfortunately, I do not believe this is possible with a Powerwall. The Powerwall cannot distinguish between the grid AC source and the V2L (Atto3) AC source, and it will overload the vehicle. Only a select few energy storage systems have dual AC inputs which can be programmed to be safely used with a V2L power source.

This is explained in more detail in this article - Vehicle-to-load Explained - V2L for backup power — Clean Energy Reviews

Hi there.
Cheers from Brazil!

I currently have a Deye 8k hybrid inverter using 4x 210ah lead acid battery pack and about 8.2kwp solar pannels installed and a small 5kw 3 phase diesel low quality generator that can barely supply about 1000 1200w per phase which is less than my home consumption during outages, so i need to keep diesel generator running a lot of time once i can only use 1 of it phases to charge batteries on “no sun” periods.
I,m thinking in split some of “emergency charges” in different circuits to be able to reduce load on one of the phases that will be used to charge inverter batteries and offloading charges to another phases.

Now i ordered my new BYD Dolphin and is set to arrive til November.
While that… I m wondering…

1 - Anybody used it to feed hybrid inverter on power outages trough generator inverter input?
Deye hybrid Inverter have a setting to limit how much current will be drowned from generator and something about 2000 2200w will be enough to feed home consumption and slowly charge lead acid batteries.
Inverter deal fine with eventual peaks that home demands during ac outages getting this extra current from batteries instead of overload generator input.

2 - Connector Schematics show that only 1 phase is used to load charges. There is any chance do get more juice from it using L2 & L3?

Sorry for long and annoying post but I’m really excited about possibility of retirement of my old diesel gen by 44kwh Dolphin V2L.

Best Regards
Alessandro!

@Alessandro_Kornowski , I’m a little confused about your post, but are you asking if you can connect multiple phases from the generator to the single-phase input on the Deye inverter? If so, then the answer is no.

I connected my BYD Atto-3 to my Victron off-grid system, but I had to make some adjustments to the inverter settings. The V2L output is a “protected” supply, meaning it has an RCD (safety switch) and cannot be directly connected to an inverter that is connected to a switchboard with protected circuits (RCDs). Fortunately, the Victron Multiplus inverter I used has a unique earth (ground relay) setting, which enabled me to use a “protected” supply from the Atto 3 without any issues. I do not know if the Deye 8K hybrid inverter has this same feature, but the Deye inverter does have dual AC inputs, so I believe the generator AC input might work with V2L.

@Svarky
Thanks for your comments.

Actually im talking about v2l mode be used to feed 3 separated circuits each one from one of phases available in type 2 connector.

L2 & 3 provide any output?

Curiosity… I asked Bing AI about v2l protocol pinout and working principles.

It said that output max power is dependant of value of resistor reported previously. Just wasn’t clear about proportion of ohms x watts…

@Alessandro_Kornowski, no the output from V2L is single-phase, not 3-phase. The L2 and L3 pins in the type 2 connector are not used in V2L mode.

I don’t know of any vehicle which has a 3-phase V2L output.

1 Like

I was wondering if anyone has tested the new BYD V2L adapter outlet for the continuous and surge rating? Unlike the original 4-outlet power board, the new unit states the max power is 10A or 2400W. However, I’d assume it can still handle short-duration (resistive) surge loads up to 15A unless it has inbuilt surge protection. :thinking:

I have a very simple question, please answer simply. If the toaster I’m using, powered by the ATTO 3 V2L facility, has a short, is there an automatic 30ms disconnection implemented by the ATTO 3 to prevent my electrocution? Thanx.

@GJOESQ the V2L power supply is a protected supply, meaning it should protect you against any electric shock or short circuit.

A protected supply should trip if there is any earth leakage greater than 30mA and you should not feel anything at all. However, I haven’t tested this with the Atto 3.

Thanx for your reply, @Svarky. Can you inform me about the mechanism that ensures the protection you elucidate? Also, is there any documentary evidence from BYD, or elsewhere, that supports your answer? Thanx. :hugs:

@GJOESQ to confirm this myself, I just conducted a test with an RCD socket outlet tester, and it worked with no problem. I did three tests, and each time it instantly disconnected and displayed “discharging ended” on the driver’s LCD. I also tried the lowest 10mA setting, and it worked with no problem.

Based on this I can assume it is a fully protected outlet and safe.

1 Like

Hi there.
Finally received my Dolphin Plus(Brazilian name for Dolphin 60.5kw) and it is working fine as replacement for my diesel generator!!!
Some comments that i believe that is interesting.
My car came with v2l set to output about 90v 50hz.
I need to contact BYD to explain my local dealer how to change it to 220v 60hz.
After some frustration coming and going between BYD & Dealer they managed how to set it.
When i saw that have several options between 90 and 240v i asked technician to set it to 230v 60hz to compensate any loss when demanding hi power from it.
Testing using aliexpress cheap un fused adapter i was able to drain about 3000w when conected it to generator input of deye inverter, but this almost melted adapter contacts on plug side. So i decided to make my own v2l adapter.
Bought from aliexpress a 32A type 2 connector and used adequate wiring to connect it to gen input.(6mm cable)
Bonus on this!!!
Deye have a dry contact relay to remote control generator. So i added to my cable 2 extra wires to inverter control remotely v2l output putting relay contacts in series with resistor(2 way 1.5mm cable).
Tested this setup for 12 hours and everything work fine.
During testing i used about 15kw from car.
Limited gen input to 3000W.
Battery that started test on 100% about 19:00 ended about 75% when sun rised about 8:00.
No more connector overheat once type 2 adapter that i bough is 32a.
Only issue that i faced is that’s not possible to connect car’s PE to Home Earth because connection between neutral and Earth. So i installed a separate Earth bar for this circuit.

Do the technician just do it for you, or did he explain how it is done?

I saw.
It is done over OBD2 on ECU using dealer tablet and was for free.
After BYD explained them how to, it took 10 minutes to complete.
Just need to schedule a visit to dealer.

1 Like

That is brilliant, thanx so much, Svarky. This is a relief and alleviates the concerns expressed by my friends and, subsequently, myself. :hugs:

Did anyone try to feed selected circuits (like lights ) in his household from the car ?

I did tried it and the RCD ( Residual-current device) switched to 0 - is it related to grounding or the zero? any suggestion to overcome this ?

lastly, Why BYD isn’t publishing any docs about the V2L spec’s ?