Zenaji battery with 3-phase solar inverter

Hi
I am currently researching batteries to suit a 14.7 kWp solar system with Fronius Symo 12.5 inverter
I use average of 800kw hr per month in summer and 1.2 MWh per month in winter (southern Tasmania)
My own consumption averages about 80%+ of production in winter and about 20% in midsummer.
I mainly want the battery for energy security (so full level 3 immed switch and solar charging)with a side benefit of using my excess to offset my time of use Tarif and use more of my excess solar.
I will be retrofitting so will need an ac dc inverter or an all in one ac battery.
My night usage runs at about 1kw/hr which includes an off peak Hotwater boost at 5am for 2 hrs in winter
Time of use schedule peaks 7-10am and 4 to 9pm
I am thinking of lithium fe, but am intrigued by the lithium titanate offerings eg zenerji.
Any suggestions for optimum setup…

There are a number of 3 phase hybrid inverters available and many different battery options. A simple AC coupled battery might also be suitable but it sounds like you may need additional solar to cover winter generation and charge a battery system.

Have you tried this tool to help determine what size solar and battery will best suit your needs? Solar and Battery Size Calculator - Price estimate, savings and payback

The Zenaji LTO battery would be a great option if it fits within your budget. This is a self-managed 48V battery and would need to be installed along with a dedicated hybrid/off-grid inverter-charger such as Selectronic SP PRO or Victron Multiplus.

Hi Jason

Yes , Idid try the calculator. It really didnt reflect real world scenario. In tassie the price calculated was way too low. The price calculated was about 2/3 of the prices quoted for just solar panels/ inverter alone.

The other thing is my Solar is already in place…cant change that.

Not looking to go off grid but want supply certainty as getting lots of brown outs.

The Zenaji looked good but was wondering if it lived up to the hype. Read the reviews on it on the website and it seemed expensive but good. The advance in battery tech though may supersede it …

Styx

Get BlueMail for Android

Hi Styx,

I am a right filed advocate of Dual Axis-solar Trackers, we treat all Fixed Solar racking as Caveman Racking, due to the in-efficiencies to Generate Peak Energy for no more that 2~3 hours per day around Sydney Longitude.

As you are in Tasmania, a DAT will Generate Pear energy for approx. 12 hours per day, depending on your location.
So, I would suggest, you purchase an 8 Panel DAT ($4’600),remove 8 panels off your roof, and assuming you have 300W Panels you would Generate approx. 30kWh of Energy per Day in sunny weather.

Try to Generate that with 8 Panels on your Roof!

As for Batteries, 30kWh (3x 10.24kWh) of LiFePO4 Batteries only Cost $12’000 +Delivery.

Super Capacitor (SC) Energy Storage Modules, in our opinion are the Latest & Greatest, but they come at approx. double the LiFePO4 Cost.
The Great thing about SC’s that can be Charged in approx. 1/4 of the Time of ALL other Battery Storage Technicologies, and have a Projected 30’000 Cycle Life with 99% Depth Of Discharge.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks Raptor

Looked into DAT when I installed. It seemed like a good solution for a Tassie winter boost. Due to a number of issues eg cost, cable run, suitable site etc decided against it. If price came down and had the house / block orientation right in a new build would definitely consider it. Btw an 8 panel DAT would cost about double that in Tasmania…kit and installation costs here are much higher than on the mainland. (Think 1/3 as much again to even double)

My understanding was SCap was a misnomer and energy storage was not actually super capacitors but li titanate batteries. I thought true super capacitors had still yet to be developed to a point they could be used as efficient energy storage systems. Correct me if my understanding is outdated as tech changes so rapidly!

Get BlueMail for Android

That is the $4.6k is for a 550kg Crate into any Australian Port.
100mt roll of Cabling is only $150, Conduit & Cabling from a Contractor Rates.g $150mt …etc.etc.
However, Installation is commonly done by the Installer, usually Farmers, as most find the Trenching & Running Conduit & Cabling back to the Inverter Time consuming, Saves on going to the Gym, not for everyone!
Most Farmers have the Machinery to do the Job …it is Simple, if capable of assembling things…

Yes, there are Installers that Overcharge for a simple installation. :flushed:

Unfortunately most Urban people with a Clear Yard, have yet to learn the many advantages of installing a DAT Unit, Shade/Cover, protection, insulation, micro-climate, Cloth line, not to mention Superior Peak Energy Generation for the next 30 Years …etc!

As for SC, there are Several Types, basically for Start Energy & Energy Storage, we have been using therm for years.
These can come in nearly any Voltage, & even 3 phase Modules, there are two Main SC Graphene & Paper & Graphene Hybrid Cells
Go Goggle the basics on SC’s.
You need Deep Pockets, but SC provide Unique properties. :upside_down_face:

There is also Lithium-n-Garnet Battery Technology developing, but I believe SC is the Best.

Yes, Zenaji are very good. They are the only battery available that currently comes with a 20-year warranty. I have spoken with the engineers and designers of the Zenaji Aeon and they are completing an accelerated testing program with 20,000 cycles and have found very little degradation (still 90%), although it was under controlled conditions. Still is far beyond any other lithium battery technology.

The “supercapacitor” batteries (SC) also use LTO cells. This has been proven by comparing the discharge voltage curve of SC batteries being identical to LTO cells - ref the Kilowatt labs Sirius SC batteries.

Battery technology is improving all the time and of course, there will be more advancements over the coming years. LTO is very expensive at present and as I previously mentioned requires a dedicated 48V inverter-charger to operate which will also add to the cost. They are not compatible with many hybrid inverters due to the wide operating voltage range…