Solar Quote Advice

Hey all,

Firstly, amazing forum and info resource!!

I am very new to solar energy, and planning on having a system installed this month.

Im wondering could I get some thoughts on the many many technologies and brands there seems to be available. Specifically the two quotes as follows:

1:

Panels: 12 x Leapton 480watt panels / 5.76kW total.

Inverter: Huawei 4.6kW

Battery: Huawei 5kW

Gaurantee: 25Years Panels / 10 Years Battery

Cost:10K total.

2:

Panels: 12 x QCells 415watts

Inverter: Afore - no further tech specs currently, but circa 5k I suspect.

Battery: Dyson - no further tech specs currently, but circa 5k I suspect.

Gaurantee: 25Years Panels / 10 Years Battery

Cost: 11K total.

Im getting so many conflicting opinions, on German vs Chinese quality etc etc… so trying to understand if theres actually much quality difference between what Ive outlined above, to justify spenging the extra 1000.

I would assume all are high quality tier1 type technologies these days!! And given the 25 years warranty on both, does it really matter which option!?

Thanks all. Any other general thoughts around recommended panels / technologies very welcome!!

PS: My panels will be setup in an east / west fashion, so sun will hit the panels half and half throughout the day, I believe. Not sure if that effects the technology choice. Also, Im based in Ireland, not exactly reknowned for a lot of sunshine throughout the year. Summers are pretty ok!!

No worries. The first option, using Leapton and Huawei, sounds like the best choice by far. The Huawei HV battery tech is some of the best on the market. I installed several Huawei systems, and they have been extremely reliable and efficient. I’ve never heard of any real issues with Huawei solar inverters.

Afore is a very cheap inverter brand, and I’m not a big fan of Dyson batteries.

None of the options use German parts, and Chinese-made panels and inverters are now some of the best in the world (of course, there are still some dodgy Chinese brands you need to look out for)

Why is the solar array rather small? Do you have a limited roof area available? I would go as large as possible with the solar

Thanks so much, really helpful!! And yes, to your question, I have pretty limited roof space.

I have recieved one other option, similar to option 1.

Panels:
Jinko Solar Co., Ltd.
5.160 kW Total Solar Power
12 x 430 Watt Panels (JKM430N-54HL4R-B)
3,986 kWh per year

Battery:
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
5 kWh Total Battery Storage
1 x LUNA2000-5-S0

Inverter:
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

Total: 11K

Would it be worth paying the extra 1000€ for the Jinko Panels? Or would you still recommend option 1 (Leapton)?

No, I would stay with option 1 since the solar array is larger, and Leapton panels are very similar to Jinko in terms of quality.

Thank you so much. Really appreciate this guidance!!

Have a great day sir :slight_smile:

It’s great that you’re considering solar energy for your home! Both quotes you’ve received seem to offer quality components with similar warranties, so the decision may come down to your specific preferences and requirements. Here are some thoughts on the options you’ve outlined:

1. Leapton Panels with Huawei Components (10K total):
  • Leapton is a less well-known brand compared to QCells, but this doesn’t necessarily mean lower quality.
  • Huawei is a reputable brand known for its inverters, so you can expect good performance and reliability.
  • The total cost is slightly lower than the other quote, which could be a factor if budget is a concern.
  1. QCells Panels with Afore/Dyson Components (11K total):
  • QCells is a well-established brand known for its high-quality panels.
  • Afore and Dyson are not as well-known in the solar industry, so it would be wise to inquire about the specifications and reputation of these components.
  • The total cost is slightly higher, but if you prioritize brand reputation and potentially better performance, this could be worth it.

Given that you’re in Ireland with less sunshine compared to sunnier climates, the east/west orientation of your panels is a good choice. This setup will allow you to capture sunlight throughout the day, maximizing your energy production.

In terms of technology choice, both options seem to offer reliable components with similar warranties. It’s always a good idea to ask for more detailed specifications and possibly even look for reviews or testimonials from other users to get a better understanding of the performance and reliability of the components.

Ultimately, the decision may come down to your budget, brand preferences, and any specific requirements you have for your solar system. Either option could be a good choice, so it’s important to weigh the pros and cons based on your priorities.