Oversizing solar on MPPT Solar Charge Controllers

Hello guys. I have a client who wants to buy MPPT charge controllers. He wants a charge current of 20A at 24V configuration and a total input PV array of 650watts.

I tried all suppliers in China and a few in Europe and they don’t seem to have that spec. The spec that can handle 650W are the 30A ones but client insists on 20A.

Can anyone please help me with a supplier of there is any such controller on the market?

2 Likes

@Alloy yes, some higher quality MPPT solar charge controllers such as those from Victron Energy let you oversize the solar and put up to 750W on a 20A unit. Just be careful not to go over the INPUT current limit of the charge controller.

The Victron 100/20 is able to handle more than the nominal rating listed on the spec sheet.

Hi Svarky,

Thanks for your reply. I suggested the Epever (TRACER-AN-SMS-EL-V1.0) 20A/24V MPPT controller for the client but wanted to be sure I am doing the right thing.

I saw the Victron but the cost would be deterrent considering our situation here.

Thanks for your your confirmation. Your reply has really been a respite to me.

Regards,

King Alloy

1 Like

Hello I have EPEVER tracer 30amp for dc load and 12v battery pv 390/12 780/24v but I installed 300*2 in parallel. So 600 watt . Pv wattage oversized but pv volt and amp in limits pv volt 40v amp 28. But worry it may damage my controller

@Wisal_Ahmad yes, that is a little higher than the manufacturer’s specifications so it may reduce the life of the controller. However, if you live in a cooler climate I wouldn’t be too concerned about the extra 20W. If your system is installed in a hot location with high temperatures I would be much more careful as it might damage the controller.

Also, remember to allow adequate clearance for cooling. At least 150mm

I am from Pakistan and in summer the temperature raise to 40c but a 300watt panel may produce 240-270watt so 240+240=480watt or 270+270=540watt
still more than 390watt for 12v but less then 580watt . Please I need opinion about this battery it’s tall tubular battery 280a will my 30amp controller will charge this battery

Yes I may install 12v computer cpu Fan for cooling under controller. I check temperature in solar station software it’s 33c and environmental is 18c. I want to buy 40amp but expensive in Pakistan

Yes, the 30A controller will charge a 280Ah 12V battery no problem.

If you can keep the controller cool below 40c you should have no problems

Fine but the battery is tall tubular with 9 plates and it’s deep cycle flooded battery mostly used in 24v or 48v solar projects, most battery dealers told me that it’s not the job of your controller to charge this hard battery so I am confused. I have 12v dc 28 lights and 7 ceiling fans and water pump. in Pakistan there is shortfall issues energy crisis so dc is the best solution

Is it a 12 volt battery? If it’s 12V, then no problem.

Do you have battery specifications or datasheet?

No I don’t know but I will try to get from battery shop and will share

Using solar panels in parallel with a solar charge controller is a common configuration, and it’s important to ensure that the voltage and current ratings are within the limits of the charge controller to avoid damage.

1 Like