LG Solar panels vs Trina Solar

Hi there, I have recently received the quotes below. Would really appreciate your feedback as to if you think they are reasonable or not?

• Seaford/Victoria

• Dooley Electronics

• 12 x LG 335w

• 5Kw Fronius Primo inverter

• no pictures
    $6,468.88 (inc STC)

• Seaford/Victoria

• Galactic Solar

• 12 x LG 335w

• 4Kw Fronius Primo inverter

• no pictures
    $7,478.23 (inc STC)

• Seaford/Victoria

• Space Solar

• 14 x Trina Honey M-plus 305w

• 4Kw Fronius Primo inverter

• no pictures
    $5,225 (inc STC)

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Jelley

Are you restricted to 4kW with your roof space?

I like the looks of Dooley Electrics quote, very good panels and inverter, fair price, local electrician presumably. However, with 4kW of panels it should really be installed with a 4kW inverter, or get 5kW of panels.

LG is our top ranked solar panel manufacturer. Trina is a good quality mid range option.

Hi Marty,

Thank you for getting back to me, much appreciated.

We don’t have the biggest roof space, we could probably fit 14-16 at a squeeze. Would you recommend going for the bigger option?

It turns out Dooley had made a typo, it should have said 4 Kw inverter. Still a far price? Correct, he is local.

Thanks again.

Yeah I wouldn’t recommend going bigger, I was just curious as to the reason for the quoted PV size @Jelley.

There’s a few reasons why I think a local electrician is a good option, which I’m writing up in an article at the moment. His quote with a 4kW inverter is the one I would go for. It’s a bit higher than what you’d pay with a high volume solar retailer probably, but for good reason I believe.

Thanks Marty, appreciate the honest feedback.

For comparison, last month I had 16 x LG335 and 5KW Fronius Primo for a total of $7k installed in Sydney.

@Marty, I appreciate this reply is a long time after my original post, but we didn’t end up going ahead with any of the quotes above and have since been re-quoted by the same supplier.

I would really appreciate your expertise once more:

Option 1.
12 LG panels 340w. Total size….4.08Kw
4 Kw Fronius inverter.
Average daily production is 14.6 Kwh
STC rebate to be signed over to Dooley Electrics as payment (approx. $2000)
Total cost inc GST and cert and inspection is $7,150.00

Option 2
12 Trina panels 315w. Total size….3.78Kw
4 Kw Fronius inverter.
Average daily production is 13.6 Kwh
Total cost inc GST and cert and inspection is $4,975.00

Option 3
12 Jinko panels 315w. Total size….3.78Kw
4 Kw Zever inverter
Average daily production is 13.6 Kwh
Total cost inc GST and cert and inspection is $4,400.00

Option 1 appears quite high in comparison with Phil’s above.

Also what’s your opinion of the current process for the Victoria Solar Rebate?

Many thanks,
Ian

Hi Ian

Good on you for taking your time, not a small decision.

I reckon it’s between 1 and 2 for me, Fronius is worth it I think.

It’s a tough question as to whether the LG are worth that extra $2.2k. That’s a lot of extra money and Trina are a decent panel too. I think it’s a question of personal preference. If it’s straight up payback ROI that you are looking at, I think it would be hard to justify the nearly 50% more. But if you want assurance that you’ve got the best performing panels on your roof day in day out, and the ones most likely to last a very long time and cause you no trouble, then LG is the way.

Sorry to give you a lawyer answer, but also you should be happy with either option I think.

All the best, let us know how you go.

Marty

Check out our Solar Installers Melbourne page

Hi Jelly, Marty,
With limited roof space maybe look at 72 cell panels?, 16 at 415w LG = 6.64kW. Just a thought (there’s also 400w Jinko cheetah’s 16 = 6.4kW, depends on what your usage is. I would think that the Lg system would go for about $8,000 with Fronius Primo 5.0.1, Jinko cheetah about $6,000. And don’t you guys have a state govt rebate over there as well? Stc’s should be about $2,200 or more, depending on how they do it. I’m guessing here" you guys quote fairly over your way" I have to compete with idiots LOL.

Regards Den

LG Solar and Trina Solar are both well-established manufacturers of solar panels, and both companies offer a range of solar panel products. When choosing between LG Solar panels and Trina Solar panels, several factors should be considered:

Efficiency: LG Solar panels are known for their high efficiency. They often have a higher efficiency rating compared to Trina Solar panels. Higher efficiency panels can generate more electricity in the same amount of space, which can be important if you have limited roof space.

Reliability and Reputation: Both LG Solar and Trina Solar are reputable companies with a history of producing reliable solar panels. LG, as a well-known consumer electronics brand, may have a stronger reputation in terms of brand recognition.

Warranty: Check the warranty terms for both brands. LG Solar panels typically come with a longer warranty period compared to Trina Solar panels. A longer warranty can provide peace of mind and protection in case of any panel issues.

Price: Price can be a significant factor in your decision. LG Solar panels are often considered a premium product and may come at a higher price point compared to Trina Solar panels. Consider your budget and how the price aligns with your financial goals.

Local Availability: Check the availability of both LG Solar and Trina Solar panels in your region. Accessibility can impact the ease of purchasing and installing the panels.

Installer Recommendations: Consult with solar installers in your area to get their insights and recommendations. They may have experience with both brands and can provide valuable feedback based on local conditions and installation requirements.

Climate Considerations: Consider the climate and environmental conditions in your area. Some solar panels may perform better than others in specific climates or under certain conditions.

Longevity: Investigate the track record of both manufacturers and how long they have been in the solar industry. Established companies with a history of producing reliable products may be a safer choice.

Technology and Innovation: LG Solar often incorporates advanced technologies into its panels. If you value the latest innovations in solar panel technology, you may find LG panels appealing.

Installer Network: Check if either manufacturer has a strong network of certified installers in your area. A reliable installation team can have a significant impact on the performance of your solar panel system.