Sungrow SBP4K8 Battery

Hello everyone.

I have a 4K solar system installed, but looking to add a battery and new inverter. Can anyone tell me what inverter to use with the battery Sungrow SBP4K8, as I have been told that I may need to get the right inverter or the battery will shut down after 20 minutes due to the lack of “Handshake” between inverter and battery.

Yes, you should use a Sungrow SH5K series hybrid inverter with the Sungrow battery. However, they may be difficult to find as they stopped manufacturing them earlier this year.

How did you come across a Sungrow SBP4k8 battery, is it second hand?

Hi, the battery is brand new. So wanted to set it up with an inverter but it looks like Sungrow don’t like to let the batteries to be used with other brands of inverters.

The Sungrow contains a Samsung battery module which was used by many other manufacturers, so you should be able to connect it to another inverter brand that was compatible with Samsung.

Nearly all Hybrid inverters use the same CANbus communication protocol to communicate (hand-shake) with the battery. The only difference is the pins on the CAT5 cable (RJ45 connector). What hybrid inverter did you intend on using?

I actually don’t mind on the inverter, as long as it picks up the battery. So any recommendations are welcome

I just checked and there are many Sungrow SH5K-30 inverters still for sale online. I would just use the Sungrow, it’s a great inverter, I’ve had my old SH5K-20 for 5 years now. No problems

Thanks i have been looking online but cant find any for sale (i am in the UK) so if you can give me a few links and i will ask for shipping prices. You have been a super help. I just didn’t want to be stuck with the battery and no way of using it.

Oh, I’m in Australia, and there are lots available here. Even on Ebay!

Thanks for all your help. I will see what I can do, I would have also thought there would be an updated version as the warranty on these is 10 years - so if they fail there should be another version that will be compatible.