Smart Battery System

How can I get a Tesla Power Wall, when Tesla won’t sell me one?

6.1 kWh solar system, grid-tied, net metering not 1:1 (wholesale: retail), and demand charge 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Whatever grid power I use, whichever hour is the most used, that’s what every hour gets billed at!

So I want a battery that will supply my needs 100% for 5 hours a day. Charge overnight, or with the panels.

Any suggestions?

Wichita, Kansas, USA

Hi @Jason_Carmichael

Interesting, why won’t Tesla sell you one?

You could try another solar retailer. The Tesla solar retailer (Solar City), and Tesla battery manufacturer are quite separate entities, as Dan explains here Solar Battery System | Florida & Puerto Rico.

Marty

Hi.
I cant help.but suggest you go with something more suitable. Pile on tech Sofar me3000 2 4kw/4.8 and so on. You can add sections much like separates so you get true value return without over spending… It’s a great solid reliable bit of kit and usually makes more sense than a Tesla. As a professional in the industry in would advise my clients to use a better option and save money.

Cheers.

I have heard quite a bit about how negative Tesla Powerwall is. I don’t quite understand what you are referring to in your comment. Is that a company?

I get being modular.

Forgive me if I confused you. Tesla are of course a great energy storage but what I’m saying is that there are alternatives that are less expensive that will likely meet your needs better if in a domestic environment. We supply LG Chem 7kw and Sofar me 3000 both are really cracking systems…they are suited for UK 4-8 kw systems.

I’ve sold powerwall 2’s and unless you have at least 8kw solar the battery won’t fully charge every day a d that makes it a bit of a pointless spend. Hope that helps. O and just to say Tesla are great if you have a larger solar system so that it fully charges.

Regards.

1 Like

Yeah spot on @TGP, there are plenty of options for you Jason.

Have you checked out our battery review page? Plenty of reviews there of different options:

I have discovered this;

Industrial users regularly have “demand charges” added to their utility fee structure.

This demand fee is just a normal cost of doing business, of course all these fees are added to the cost of the goods sold, ultimately paid for by the end user.

My discovery is that no other utility has a demand fee for solar users in the residential sector. Period.

In the fall winter and spring the demand charge from my utility is $4 per kilowatt. In the summer it is $9.

The first month my solar system was installed, I gave the utility 650 kilowatts. I used 6 from the grid during that demand fee window. $45 fee.

I am resorting to having to disconnect from the grid in the evening, when there is no solar production, so I don’t get blasted with this demand fee.

In the summer, solar production happens all the time of the demand charge hours. During the rest of the year, the solar production ends 2 to 4 hours before the demand fee ends.