Neighbor complaining of blinding glare from my solar panels

hi All,
I need your advice on an issue with my solar installation.
I just got my solar panels installed today and my neighbor is complaining that my panels are producing a blinding glare for her and that this is nuisance as per law.

I live in Melbourne , Victoria.
Is this something , I should have checked before signing in for my Solar contract. is this something my installer should have known?

Is there anything that I can do to ease my neighbor’s pain? am i legally obligated for it ?

Regards
Anit

Wow. I have never heard of this. Sounds a bit absurd.

Is she saying that the glare is annoying her whilst inside, or outside the house?

I highly doubt this is your problem, but I’m no legal expert.

Is there anything you can do? Maybe, but it will most likely affect your solar generation.

Thanks for a prompt response Marty.
She mentioned that whenever she comes out of her main door she sees the glare during a particular time of the day only. I guess, when the sun is setting.

This is where Dual Axis Tracking (DAT) Solar Racking comes into it’s own.

Not only do you require approx. 1/3 of the Solar Panels, of Fixed Tilted Racking!
DAT Generation is FAR Superior the further South of the equator you live.

DAT Racking points the Solar Panels perpendicular (straight at) to the Sun, thus eliminating ANY Reflection!

I wish people would do more DAT Researching based on there Consumption!

Some people just like to whine & winge.

Thanks.
Is DAT racking available for rooftops.
I googled and see that it is mostly a in-ground cemented installation.
Also is that possible to change now…even at a charge.
Regards
Anit

This is very unusual as solar panels have an anti-reflective coating to enable them to absorb more light and produce more power. Reflection is not an issue. I wonder if your neighbor is actually exaggerating the problem for personal reasons, or simply doesn’t like the look of them, again for personal reasons.

1 Like

Most definitely.

This isn’t really a practical option for most people, especially once you’ve already got the install.

Commonly Horizontal or Vertical DAT Racking is Installed in Residential Rural locations or commercial Solar Farms.
Largely to do with digging a 60cm deep Trench for Electrical conduit & having clearance from Shading for buildings & terrain etc.

There are bespoke Rooftop DAT Racking, but as Marty said, the Affordability of changing the Racking type in the Short term is Not really worth it.
However, as DAT provides superior energy Generation from 10~12 hours per Day depending on your latitude location, the generation over the 25year life of the system Panels, would be approx. double the Energy Generated.

As an exercise, use the below Calculator, enter Your solar Panel Watts & QTY etc.
Then simply change From DAT to Fixed Tilted Racking, and you will see the Generation results.

As say, if you have a common system of 22x 300W Panels (6.6kW) System it will Generate 12’000kWh/p Year, compared to DAT that will Generate 25’000kWh/p per Year.
So, have fun analyse that !

Thanks . I get the point.
This is indeed spectacular and could also reduce the number of panels required in case excess generation is not the priority.