Trina vs Q Cells | Melbourne VIC

Hi,

I’ve received 3 different quotes from different companies with different products, arrangements etc.
Now I’m keen on one of them but the price point is significant from the others, I understand the products are different but I’m curious about their installation & labour charges.

1st
6.38 kW System
22 x Q Cells 290W Q.Plus G4.3
Fronius 5kW Symo (3Ø) Inverter (property is on 3 phase)
Mounting Frame - Hopergy for tile roof
Split Roof Charge
Multi Storey Charge
Quoted price $11,010.00

2nd
6.55 kW System
Trina Solar 285W Multicrystalline (Model: TSM-285PD06H) x 23
Fronius (Model: Symo 5.0-3-M)
Mounting system to suit roof
Multi Storey Charge
Quoted price $9,805.00

Both companies seem to have roughly the same average review rating.
However I’m leaning towards the 1st company due to having much more positive reviews in VIC, where I live.

Hi @Dreamer

Welcome. Looks like you’ve got some good products there to choose from. I’m assuming these are prices before the STC rebates? Otherwise, they look a little on the expensive side - although 3 phase and multi story does bump the price up a bit.

Essentially you are choosing between Trina and QCells here, I think QCells would be my choice. If you are more confident in the company from quote 1, I always think that is worth spending a bit more for.

Hope that helps.
Marty

Hi Marty,

I was confident I was going to pick option 1 anyways but I was recommended by 2 people to get a quote from this other company they both had installations done. Which turned out to be a pretty good idea as they offered me:

6.6 kW Total Solar Power
20 x 330 Watt Panels (Q PEAK DUO G5+ 330 25 Year Product
Warranty)
5 kW Growatt Inverter.
For $11,000.00
I’m more than inclined to go with this company but I haven’t seen Growatt mentioned or offered by many companies. Should I ask for a different brand like Fronius or LG? I’m hoping the price difference isn’t too much, but if this brand is comparable then I’m not too fussed.

If you want a really good review of what you have been offered, get onto Facebook and search for ‘solarquotes’, as from my reading the Growatt inverter doesn’t have the best reputation.

1 Like

Thanks Champ.
I actually don’t have social media… but it looks like Solar Quotes has reviews on it’s website. I’ll have a read through. I’ll more than likely ask the company for a more reputable inverter.

Yes, I think that would be a good idea. Take a look at our Best Solar Inverters article.

Thanks @Marty,

I’ve done as you advised and they gave me an estimated price difference of 700 dollars for an SMA or Fronius Inverter. Is the overall price of $11,700.00 reasonable in your opinion?

Hi Dreamer,

This seems very expensive for a relatively small system. Is the roof really steep with difficult access or something? Is the prices quoted after the STC rebate?

Normally a good quality 6.5kW system will cost around $6,000 to $10,000 max depending on the panels and inverter.

@Svarky

It’s split roof system, 2 storey property and 3 phase set up. A 3 phase inverter is mandatory as dictated by the energy provider.
All quotes that I have listed are prior to any rebates or loans. I can collate the upfront costs if that helps.

Hi Svarky,

I looked through the quotes again and have broken down the numbers they provided.

1st
6.38 kW System
22 x Q Cells 290W Q.Plus G4.3
Fronius 5kW Symo (3Ø) Inverter (property is on 3 phase)
Mounting Frame - Hopergy for tile roof
Split Roof Charge
Multi Storey Charge
Quoted price $11,010.00
-$3,285.00 federal rebate
-$2,225.00 vic rebate
Total: $5,500.00

2nd
6.55 kW System
Trina Solar 285W Multicrystalline (Model: TSM-285PD06H) x 23
Fronius (Model: Symo 5.0-3-M)
Mounting system to suit roof
Multi Storey Charge
Quoted price $9,805.00
-$3,225.00 federal rebate
-$2,225.00 vic rebate
Total: $4,355.00

3rd
6.6 kW Total Solar Power
20 x 330 Watt Panels (Q PEAK DUO G5+ 330 25 Year Product
Warranty)
5 kW Growatt Inverter (Fronius/SMA +$700)
For $11,000.00
-$3,139.00
-$2,225.00
+$700.00 (upgrade inverter)
Total: $6,247.00

Hi @Dreamer

Ok that’s much better with the STC rebates. In which case any of those on paper is fine (we would personally upgrade to SMA or Fronius). So it comes down to the company. If you’ve got recommendations then that counts for a lot, which sounds like what you were leaning toward already.

Cheers
Marty

Thanks Marty,

You’ve helped me a lot in making a decision.

Hi @Dreamer

The first option with Qcells and Fronius would definitely be my pick of the bunch.

Cheers,

Hi Dreamer
Quote 1 mention Split Roof , 20-22 panels I would recomended you use 350watts panel then you need only 18-19 panels to make up the 6.6kw
Most modern roof may have so many split that make installation difficult
Nowdays in Victoria the installer has to fencing around the roof that they work for mandatory safety , this increase cost
I would always recomend you insert a small screen shot of your roof from google map for better understanding of your situation

We are also coming near the end of the year, YES , As an example The Discount will decrease for sys 6.6 install on 1 Jan 2020. BUT by how much in Melbourne STC fall from 93 to 85 STC
So how much in . Again its depend on the / STC the dealer will offer you. eg. Highest 37 to more likely 34 / STC or anythings in between .
Then STC for 6.6 sys in Mel for 2019 Discount ( aka Rebate ) is between $3162—$3441
For next year 2020 (85 STC ) is between $3145 – $2890

So the question now , will you be losing the $, Must you get the job done B4 Chrismas ??
My View ONLY you did not really in deficit, because in 2020 we will see many changes , newer models, better technology panels like the Bifacial and Shingle panels getting more affordable,
Panels size will range from 350 to 380 to 460 watts. The Bus Bar sys on panel will be obsolete,
I already start to see more panels reaching > 19 % efficiency

My message choose carefully , because you are married to the installed PV sys for the next 25 years

Regards Mel
Solar Hybrid Solutions

Hi,

That’s some really good points to think about. Goes to show my ignorance just coming in the last week or so and despite doing as much reading as I can I’m still lacking in the ocean of knowledge and perspectives. I’ll be giving things more consideration. I wasn’t concerned about having installed this year but I wanted to get the rebate application in this year. Installation would definitely have to be next year anyways due to some renovations going on at home.

. See image of my roof, I know the install at this property wouldn’t be easy especially with the roof configuration, 2 storey, 3 phase, location of meter box etc…

Hi @Dreamer

Installation for next year wont have the same rebates as they are going down and your outlay cost is going to be higher.