Qld 44c feed-in tariff 2020 | replacement system 5kW

I live North of Brisbane, I have a 5kw inverter (broken) with 20 x 250W Trina panels, obviously ill never get 5kw more like 4.4kW. I would like to know definitivley if i can install a new 5kw system with 6.5 kw of panels, and keep the tarriff. I have conflicting information from many solar companies. I have read there was a proposed bill in 2018 to stop people on the 44FIT from oversizeing, but i cannot find if this was passsed. I have found an Energex form 8007 stating ‘An Energex connection of a micro embedded generator model standing offer is not required if you are increasing the number of panels for an already approved inverter.’ So if ime replecing the system with a 5kw Fronius Inverter and 20 x 330w qcel panels then i should be good yes or no?

Hi Nigel

Just because Energex doesn’t care, doesn’t necessarily mean you are safe. However, I think this doc should tell us definitively:

How to maintain your eligibility

To maintain eligibility for the 44 cent feed-in tariff, you need to:

• consume less than 100 megawatt-hours of electricity a year (the average home uses approximately 6.1 megawatt-hours a year)
  • maintain an electricity account with an electricity retailer for the premises where the solar power system is installed
  • operate an existing system that is connected to a distribution network in a net metered arrangement with an inverter size not exceeding the capacity approved by your electricity distributor
  • have a network connection agreement in place with an electricity distributor
  • remain the electricity account holder for the premises where the system is connected (you may transfer your electricity account into the name of your spouse or add their name to your electricity account or remove a name from your electricity account)
  • ensure that the name on your account doesn’t change if you change to another electricity retailer
  • ensure you replace any component with a like-for-like part
  • check with your electricity distributor before adding extra panels, systems or batteries – you can add solar panels to your system to increase your system size up to the size of your inverter (your system must comply with the relevant Australian Standards)
  • replace your inverter with one of the same, or smaller size
  • only use alternative sources of energy (e.g. other generators or batteries) when the system receiving the 44 cent feed-in tariff is not operating (i.e. at night or during blackouts), or arrange for a separate connection for additional generators or batteries.

You will lose eligibility for the 44 cent feed-in tariff if you:

• move house (as this will result in a new electricity account holder for the premises)
  • sell or let your house (if this results in a new electricity account holder for the premises)
  • increase your inverter capacity (i.e. the size)
  • close your electricity account
  • are disconnected (e.g. because you fail to pay a bill or breach a contract)
  • add extra capacity (i.e. panels) which exceeds the rated capacity of your system’s inverter
  • use alternative energy sources, (e.g. other generators or batteries) when the system receiving the 44 cent feed-in tariff is operating (unless alternative sources have separate connections to the network)
  • transfer your electricity account into any other name (other than your spouse)
  • add any other name to your electricity account (other than your spouse)
  • replace your inverter with a larger inverter.

This is the only point that seems a little ambiguous:

you can add solar panels to your system to increase your system size up to the size of your inverter (your system must comply with the relevant Australian Standards)

“up to the size of your inverter” could potentially be a deal breaker, but in reality the DC size of the inverter is 6.9kW, as shown here:

So while the inverter output “size” is 4.6kW, the input “size” is 6.9kW.

Your system would comply with relevant Australian Standards, and they also get more specific in the last section (“you will lose eligibility if you”):

• add extra capacity (i.e. panels) which exceeds the rated capacity of your system’s inverter

You won’t be doing that, so there is nothing I can see that specifies you will lose your eligibility.

I would bet that you would be just fine, however I am not going to tell you definitively either way, because I’m not a lawyer. I hope that helps though.

What was the inverter that died on you?
What are you going to do with the used panels?

Cheers
Marty

Hi Marty, thanks for the great response, The inverter that died was a Aurora PVI-500-OUTD-AU, I was looking to replace it with either the Fronius Primo 5.0.1-SC or the Fronius Primo 5.0-1 Aus, I also see mentioned on sellers websites the Fronius Primo 5.0-1 Int, but cant find it mentioned on fronius website.

I am still undecided as to what to do with the old panels.

Hi Nigel, the 5.0.1 AUS i don’t think exist any more it was for the qld market as ERGON only allowed 4600 w ac out put , INT stands for international with a 5000w AC output and is used across all states now, the SC stands for superior current and has 18amp mppt inputs so you can parallel strings.
The SC is a few hundred bucks more , so if you don’t have to parallel any strings you won’t need it.

Hope this helps

Iain

1 Like

Well i got it installed,

1 Like