Flexible solar panels

I’m not convinced that ‘flexible’ panels are a good longterm option- traditional panels have longevity in a 25-year range, yet that is my favored option for mounting to the top of my truck pop top camper for weight and clearance concerns.

Renogy 12 Volt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel

Renogy has the advantage of a good warranty (Performance Warranty: 5 year 95% output warranty 10 year 90% output warranty 25 year 80% output warranty).

Is there a better choice? I’m not seeing much of advantage to the more expensive panels…

Another option. Overlander™ 130 Watt ETFE Semi-Flexible Solar Panel
The Overlander panels tout their usage of Sunpower Maxeon Generation III cells, but are more than double the price, and although an extra 60W would be nice, they do not have any warranty.

Any other recommendations?

@nicklee, The Overlander panels sound like a much better option if they are using Maxeon cells. However, it is very concerning if they do not offer any warranty. :thinking: You can tell if they are real Maxeon cells if no busbars are visible on the cell’s front surface. But, if the cells are encapsulated in cheap low material, then if could degrade and allow water ingress over time.

Renogy generally sources cheap Chinese made panels and rebadge them. I wouldn’t trust that any cheap, flexible panel will last more than 10 to 15 years without some sort of testing and verification.

I don’t have any experience with flexible panels so unfortunately I cannot give any recommendations.

Selecting flexible solar panels for your truck pop top camper is a critical decision. While flexible panels like the Renogy 12 Volt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel offer advantages in weight and clearance, concerns about long-term durability are valid. Renogy’s warranty is a positive sign, but you might explore options from reputable brands like Goal Zero, HQST.

Flexible solar panels, also known as thin-film solar panels or flexible solar modules, are a type of photovoltaic technology designed to be lightweight, versatile, and adaptable to various surfaces. Unlike traditional rigid solar panels made from crystalline silicon, flexible solar panels use thin and flexible semiconductor materials, such as amorphous silicon (a-Si), cadmium telluride (CdTe), or copper indium gallium selenide (CIGS).

Lightweight and Portable
Bending and Flexibility
Versatile Installation
Durability
Lightweight Materials
Lower Efficiency
Lower Cost
Portable Power
Custom Shapes and Sizes
Off-Grid Applications

Before purchasing flexible solar panels, consider your specific energy needs, installation requirements, and the environmental conditions in which they will operate to determine if they are the right fit for your project. solar rooftop system