Bluetti Power Station Review (AC300) Off-grid Backup

Bluetti AC300 power station + B300 battery

Australian Version (240V)

Background - Although I have extensive experience designing and installing stand-alone (off-grid) power systems, I have not focused on portable power stations generally used for camping and recreation. However, I have been following the advancements in portable battery technology, and the powerful Bluetti AC300 system caught my attention, so I decided to do a full review.

B300 Battery 3.0kWh

First impressions

I was immediately impressed with the unit’s quality, finish, and clever design when opening the boxes. It’s reasonably heavy and feels very durable with solid moulded handles. The AC300 has a clear colour touchscreen display, Bluetooth and Wifi control options, and a large power button. The unit features seven 10A 240V outputs and numerous inputs, providing multiple ways to charge the battery. The modular B300 battery is very well-built with the same integrated handles and a capacity of 3.07kWh (3072Wh). It can work as a stand-alone unit providing basic DC power via the 12V outlet and USB connections. Up to 4 batteries can be connected, providing a maximum capacity of 12,3kWh. The cost is very reasonable considering the high build quality, powerful inverter, durable design and impressive range of features.

Note, Bluetti is part of the LAAF program, giving African families solar power lighting systems. Each AC300 purchase provides a system to a family, which is a great initiative. :+1:

Bluetti AC300 Power Station Key Features

• 3,000W AC Pure Sine Wave Inverter (6,000W Surge).
  • 7 Ways to Recharge (AC/Solar/Car/Generator/Lead battery/Dual AC/AC+Solar).
  • 2400W Max. Solar Input.
  • 5400W Max. Fast Dual Charging (Solar + AC Adapter Simultaneously).
  • Smart App Control & Monitor.
  • Price $4990 AUD. (US$3500)

Separate battery

Unlike most other power stations, the Bluetti AC300 is not an all-in-one system containing an inverter and battery in one unit. This system is unique because the inverter is separate and must be connected to a battery module to operate; it has no built-in battery capacity. The reason is that it is a powerful, high-capacity system, and it would simply be too heavy if the battery and inverter were combined.

Interconnecting cable

A large bulky cable is included to interconnect the AC300 with the B300 battery. It protrudes and looks quite cumbersome, but it is understandable, as the cable carries a lot of current and must be large and durable. It is one of the few design features that could potentially be improved. However, the flexible cable does allow the power station and battery to be stacked or positioned side by side.

Power Rating :zap:

The AC300 contains a 3000W pure sine-wave inverter capable of delivering a peak output of 6000W for a very short duration (0.5 sec) and up to 3750W for up to 2 minutes. It also contains a 3000W AC charger, a 2400W MPPT solar charger, and numerous DC outlets, including 12V, 24V, USB A, USB C and two wireless charging pads on the top surface. It’s not powerful enough to run an entire home, including HVAC units and heaters, but it is more than enough for emergency or UPS power. It will be able to run essential loads such as lights, computers, and TVs, even the electric kettle, toaster, or microwave shouldn’t be a problem, as long as they are not all running at the same time.

Load testing :zap: :zap:

To see how the AC300 performs under stress, I conducted some load testing using several common appliances and a high-surge water pump. It had no issues running basic resistive loads, including a 2.2kW electric kettle and a 1kW toaster simultaneously. I also tested the unit running the 2.2kW electric kettle together with a 1.2kW water pump that has a 3kW surge rating for a total peak load of 5.5kW (for 0.5sec) with no issues.

Solar Charging - MPPT inputs

A maximum of 2400W of solar panels can be connected to the AC300 and used for charging the B300 battery. The dual MPPT solar inputs have a wide input voltage range enabling up to 3 modern 400W solar panels to be connected in series, providing the maximum voltage (Voc) does not exceed 150V. You can use this solar voltage calculator tool to check your solar panels do not exceed the maximum input voltage.

• MPPT input voltage range = 12V to 150V (Voc)
  • Max solar input current = 2 x 12A

Solar voltage step-down module (D300S)

Most fixed rooftop-mounted solar panels are connected in long strings and operate at voltages from 250V up to 600V, which cannot be connected to the Bluetti system. However, Bluetti has released a clever DC-DC step-down converter in North America, the optional D300S unit, which reduces the string voltage to 120V making it compatible with the AC300 DC input. Unfortunately, this is NOT available in Australia due to our strict electrical regulations.

B300 Battery

B300 battery DC input

Unlike the AC300 solar DC input, the battery DC input is limited to 12V to 60V with a maximum of 10A

Summary

Overall the AC300 appears to be a well-designed, high-quality, feature-packed portable power system. The 3000W inverter is powerful enough to provide all your basic backup needs, but I would not recommend using it for high-load appliances such as HVACs or heating systems. A single B300 battery will provide enough energy to run a fridge, lights, computer, TV, and other basic essential loads, but without adequate solar power, a second battery would be required for extended power outages. While it’s not cheap, it is possibly the best portable power system currently available.

2 Likes

UPDATE:
After a few months of using the Bluetti indoors and on a few camping trips, it’s worth updating the review with some more thorough real-world feedback.

Charging speed :zap:

Charging speed from an AC source is good, but it cannot achieve the maximum 3kW charge rate using a regular 10A (2.4kW) cable and standard outlet (used in Australia & UK). The maximum I saw was around 2.7kW, and it averaged 2.3kW, depending on the battery SOC. Also, it’s normal for the rate to reduce slightly as the battery warms up during charging. However, it still charges the battery from near empty to 100% in just over one hour, which is very good, so this is not a real concern.

Standby Power Consumption :zap:

One of the few negatives of the AC300 is the higher than average standby power consumption. When in idle mode with both the AC and DC output switched off, it uses very little power. However, when the AC output is switched on, the idle power draw (with no load) appears to be close to 60W, which is high. Most power inverters typically only draw 25 to 40W under no load, so this is close to double. When left on for 4 hours with no load, it consumed around 8% of the battery, which was rather surprising.

Fortunately, there is an ECO mode that automatically disables the AC output if no load is detected. However, it has a 4-hour delay, which is a long time. I would much prefer a 1 or 2-hour cut-off point, but unfortunately, the time is not user-adjustable. I would hope a firmware update would enable users to choose a preferred time.

1 Like

Other (smaller) Bluetti units have the ability to set the eco shutoff separately for both AC and AC, as well as time from 1-4 hours, or never.

That’s interesting. It’s strange that this model doesn’t allow you to change the ECO shutoff time, unless it’s hidden in another menu somewhere?