Solar Charge Controllers - Does the load draw power from the solar or battery?

To anybody knows,

I need your guidance please… If I have a PV system paired with Solar Charge Controller (SCC) and battery bank. What I would like to know is what is the priority of power transmission that will be chosen by SCC when the battery is not full and the loads need power? Will it choose the battery then the load will take power from battery through inverter, or the SCC will directly allocate the power needed by load to inverter?

thank you…

The solar charge controller just regulates the battery charging (DC coupled). The battery inverter/charger will regulate the AC power to and from the grid and to the loads.

When there is a load, the inverter will draw DC power from the battery and solar at the same time (depending on the size of the load). The priority is the load first, then the battery charging second.

Hope this helps,
1 Like

Oh I see… thank you very much @Svarky

In a typical solar power system with a solar charge controller (SCC), battery bank, and inverter, the priority of power transmission is typically determined by the system configuration and control settings. The SCC acts as the central control unit that manages the flow of electricity between the solar panels, battery bank, and loads to optimize energy usage, maximize self-consumption of solar energy, and ensure reliable power supply to the loads. The priority is typically given to supplying power directly from the solar panels whenever possible to minimize reliance on the battery bank and maximize energy efficiency. However, when solar generation is insufficient, the SCC will utilize the battery bank to support the loads, with the inverter facilitating the conversion of DC to AC electricity as needed.

In solar system for home in SCC & the battery bank-

• SCC prioritizes charging the battery when solar power is available and the battery isn’t full.
  • Solar power is first allocated to meet the load demand directly.
  • If solar power isn’t sufficient, the SCC allows the load to draw power from the battery through the inverter.
  • Alternative power sources like the grid or a generator may be used if the battery is depleted or solar power isn’t enough to meet demand.