Simplicity is key
The one thing we can do to dramatically reduce our greenhouse gas emissions is to think less. Consume less, desire less, use less. The thread that weaves this all together is simplicity. A simple life in which we focus on the small things that make us happy, particularly our relationships, and doing work that we enjoy because it’s meaningful, frees us from desire to get fulfilment from extravagant thing, like nice cars, big houses, and grand holidays. It is fun to indulge sometimes, but it’s a whole lot more enjoyable to indulge if it’s a treat, not something we do all the time.
Desiring less is not just good for the planet, it’s great for us too
Most of us will know through experience that the times in which we are most content and fulfilled, is when we have a balanced life. We have great relationships, with family, a few close friends, and maybe an intimate partner. We have a job that we really enjoy because it’s challenging and rewarding, and a bonus is when we love hanging out with the team we work with. We are physically fit, and our bodies are healthy. I’m sure most of you would agree that these are the keys to a happy life. But usually what we actually strive for is more money, so we can consume more things in the hope of being happy. These things whether they are travel, or food, or clothes, or even a big house, will only make us happy fleetingly at best.
Why not kill two birds with one stone? We can consume less for our own wellbeing, and for the planet’s. Below is an article with the top 5 ways we can reduce our emissions, by consuming less.
- Buy higher quality stuff, and less of it
- Drive less, and share a car
- Use clean electricity, and less of it
- Eat better quality food, and less meat
- Halve your plane travel
Here are some topic ideas about simple living that I would love to discuss with the forum. If anyone feels like kicking any of them off, please add a new topic, or just reply to this one.
- Simple travel | Explore your backyard, take a staycation
- Simple food | Eat less meat & dairy, drink less alcohol
- Simple energy | Slash your electricity usage (and bill)
- Simple style | Spend more on clothes and buy less
- Simple life | Spend less than you earn
- Simple life | Find a job that pays less, but that you would jump out of bed to do
- Simple life | Mindfulness through meditation and fasting
- Affluence without abundance
- Inequality and Climate Change