Micro inverters (Enphase ) Vs Power optimisers (SolarEdge, Tigo)

I cannot speak to the comparison of Solar Edge to Enphase (solar edge not available in my area). However, I can speak to the comps. of Enphase and Tigo. I like to make a list for comparing.

1. Tigo works in conjunction with a string inverter. Enphase is the inverter.
  2. Tigo works with most panels either with a direct change of the panel box or with an adapter kit. Enphase works with all panels that have a standard DC line interface.
  3. Tigo sends power from the panel to the inverter in the form of DC power. Enphase converts the power directly at the panel and sends AC power to the home.
  4. Tigo optimizers separate the panels so they are unaffected by other panels in the string. Enphase separates each panel so it is its own string.
  5. Tigo is still dependent on the central inverter for power conversion - inverter fails, entire system shuts down. Enphase micro-inverters are the individual inverter on a per panel basis. A micro-inverter fails, one panel is affected. The rest of the system remains in operation.
  6. Tigo does not convert the power, this is dependent on the string inverter. Enphase is the inverter, however each is restricted to a maximum power output regardless of the size of the panel. The IQ7 will allow a maximum 250-watt throughput (60 cell panels) and the IQ7+ will allow a maximum 295-watt throughput (72 cell panels). While this sounds like it would be an advantage for Tigo, other inherent problems with string inverters cancel this advantage.
  7. Tigo is dependent on the string inverter for startup power restrictions. Enphase has very low per panel requirements for initial operation parameters.
  8. String inverters with Tigo optimizers will peak at a higher power output than Enphase, However, Enphase consistently yields higher overall average production.

The real test is in head to head comparison. During our change over period from string inverters to Enphase, we had occasions where it was more beneficial to install a string inverter with the Tigo optimisers in place of the Enphase M250 micro-inverters. Had the client come to us even 6 months later, there would have been no choice. In every case we have installed string inverters with optimisers the IQ eries including the IQ6, 6+, 7 and 7+ are out performing the string systems. This is with (in some cases) exactly the same size panels, installed in the same geographic area. Because we are on Yucatan’s coast we do not have to deal with shading issues (at least not often) and with flat concrete roofs we do not have to deal with slope issues. We get perfect southern angles and can compare the two systems easily. Enphase IQ series outperforms every other system we have installed or been asked to work on.

One other note. We have a twitchy grid - Mexico 127 volt and it is old. We experience constant fluctuations in power delivery. In many cases these fluctuations knock the string inverters offline. However, the Enphase generally remain in operation (unless we get really crazy high fluctuations and this happens far more often that we would like).

Hope this helps.

1 Like