US EV Charging dilemma in Africa

I am exporting a chevy Equinox in west and facing a question of adaptability of Type 1 (SAE J1772) AC inlet. However, off-grid equipment and charging cables sold in West Africa naturally use the standard European Type 2 (Mennekes) connector. Any recommendation?

Hi, welcome.

From what I understand the US Equinox uses a Type 1 plug, while chargers and cables in West Africa are usually Type 2. So a local cable probably won’t plug straight into the car.

I believe people in this situation often use a proper Type 2 to Type 1 EV adapter, or a portable charger with a Type 1 plug on the car end. I’d be careful with cheap generic adapters though.

A couple of questions that might help others chime in:

  • Which country, and is this fully off-grid or is there also grid / generator power?
  • Do you already have a Type 2 charger, or are you still choosing one?
  • Is this mainly home charging, or do you also need public / fast charging?

Hopefully someone here has done a similar US-to-West-Africa import and can share what actually worked.