Canadian Solar panels review | BiKu CS3K-300W, BiHiKu

Received an installed price of $4490 for the following:
5KW SMA Inverter with WIFI
22 x Canadian Solar CS3K-300w - 10 year product warranty (Total 6.6KW) Clenergy Mounting System 10 year warranty
Installation and Service 10 year warranty

We are in Swansea NSW. It seems pretty reasonable. What do others think?

Also: a couple of people at work have solar. They recommend buying a larger system than you currently need, the logic being that your use will always increase into the future e.g. elec cars, adding air-conditioning, etc. Our average use is 12.6kWh (May - August), 10.1kWh (Nov-Feb). So perhaps an 8kw would be more appropriate?

Thanks, Chris

Hi @kemmett

Here’s some details on Canadian Solar from our Best Solar Panels review article:

Canadian Solar is fifth largest solar panel manufacturer in the world and produce a wide range of cost effective, reliable panels. Canadian have generally produced more cost effective polycrystalline cells and developed some advanced high efficiency panels based on the half-cut polycrystalline cell design. However, more recently Canadian have shifted to developing more efficient mono-PERC shingled cell panels like the HiDM and BiKu modules.

The CS6K and KuPower range of polycrystalline panels from Canadian Solar are well regarded, cost effective panels backed by good support from local offices.

Are Canadian Solar panels made in Canada?

My understanding is that whilst some Canadian Solar panels are manufactured in Canada, the majority are not. Canadian Solar has manufacturing facilities in China, Indonesia, Vietnam and Brazil, and the majority of panels the are shipped to Australia, are made in China.

That quote does sound good to me. As long as you are confident in the solar company, I’d be happy to go ahead.

In terms of size, that system will deliver you around 25kWh a day on average throughout the year (assuming it’s facing northish). So, I think it is well and truly big enough.

Hope that helps
Marty

Thanks Marty, I appreciate your advice. The company has quoted an additional $620 for the SMA Smart Meter 2.0. Is it worth paying the extra for that option? (I am the kind of guy who likes to look at his home weather station data while at work)

Ha, yeah me too. I think it makes sense. If you layout on a solar system, I reckon it’s worth getting all the info about how it’s working and how much energy you’re using too.

Looking forward to hearing how it all goes, please let us know and post pics if you can.

I had Canadian Solar solar panels installed in a 6.6 array a few weeks ago and they seem to have survived a roof damaging hail storm also are divided int small sections so if part is shaded all the rest work. Not connected to the grid yet.Check the model of panels and use a good installer.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Solar Power Lake Macquarie

Canadian Solar seems to be in rude health, recording a Q1 2020 profit of $110 million, up from a $17 million dollar loss this time last year, after shipping 2.2GW of solar panels.