Canadian Solar vs CSUN panels

After some feedback on a quote. I’m in Sydney, my house faces west with some shading on the north side from trees but I’ve been told the panels can be placed on the southern side to avoid shading. Being pushed into micro inverters but the cost is prohibitive for me. We use 60% of our usage during the day and average 20kw per day. I’m a novice and am swimming in a tank of sharks!
Option 1:

6.6 kW Power+ solar system with

• 22 x 300 W Csun high-efficiency MONO solar panels (18.3% module efficiency; 25-year performance warranty);

• 1 x Fronius 5 kW inverter (5+5 year warranty; European made);

• Remote smart monitoring of solar production;

• Installation (10-year workmanship warranty);

• Application for grid connection approval with DNSP;

Total: $5,200 inc GST

(The price is valid for one week only)

Option 2:

6.4 kW Power+ solar system with

• 21 x 305 W Canadian Solar or Trina high-efficiency MONO solar panels (18.6% module efficiency; 25-year performance warranty);

• 1 x Fronius 5 kW inverter (5+5 year warranty; European made);

• Remote smart monitoring of solar production;

• Installation (10-year workmanship warranty);

• Application for grid connection approval with DNSP;

Total: $5,900 inc GST

(The price is valid for one week only)

Hi Bec,
Both of the quotes are very reasonable but I would definitely go with option 2 with the Canadian or perferrably Trina panels.

My main concern is the advice about shading and panel placement. Placing panels on a south facing roof (assuming roof pitch is less than 25 deg) will work fine in the summer months but obviously terrible for the remaining 9 months of the year. Note during overcast days panel orientation does not matter as much due to the diffused light.
How many panels do you estiamte will fit on the west, north and south roof sections. FYI panel dimensions are about 1m x 1.6m
Jason

Would also recommend getting quotes from at least 3 companies. Are these both from the same company? Try local electricians too, checkout our Solar Installers Sydney page.

I would not be pressured by the “price valid for 1 week only”. Take your time to decide and make sure you’re comfortable with the company you go with. A good solar company is probably more important than any other consideration when buying solar. They are your point of call if anything goes wrong. A quality installation regardless of the products is very important too.

You are right to beware of sharks, but if you take your time you’ll find some safe water.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Our roof is west facing, the suggestion is to place the panels on the south end of the western facing roof, to move as far away from the shading as possible but to still get sun from the north. Would this work as an option?

Thanks. I’ve had so many quotes, probably too many, it’s a very daunting process.

Yep, makes sense, west is fine.

Marty

Yep west is no problem… It will have have great generation during the afternoon and well into the evening during summer so perfect for running air-con on hot summer days.

As Marty said use a local reputbile installer if possible. Don’t go for the cheapest option as it nearly always ends up costing more in the med/long term due to cheaper parts and shonky workmanship.

Hi Bec,
Im in Melbourne and only last week finished shopping around for solar power. I got quotations from 7 companies and sought advice from this forum and based my decision with a fronius 5kw(european) & 22x300watts Jinko panels. I would like to share my thoughts on your post:

1. Excellent choice of Fronius5.0-1 inverter.
  2. Regarding panels do some reading to compare their performances. Take the one that has best market standing( majority of them come with 10_12yrs warranty & 25 yrs linear performance warranty). I read up on panels here https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/blog/best-solar-panels-review
    & https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/blog/2017/9/11/best-solar-panels-top-modules-review
    Whatever decision you make as long as u r satisfied by it.
    Most companies give a 10 yr workmanship warranty which will cover the installation.
    Just as a backup lookup the address of Fronius & the panel company in case you need to chase up their warranty if the installer disappears(or in the likelihood of liquidation & going bankrupt and his warranty ceases).
    Do remember when u get more quotes compare apples with apples. If they r giving you a diff inverter or panels tell them you want a quote for ‘x’ & ‘y’ only. If they cannot do so move on to another comapny that will quote you on what you want as this will narrow down your search & help you decide.
    Best of luck.
    Aal
2 Likes

Okay we are in the northern hemisphere and we only do panels that are within 30 degrees of due south up here they try to sell this East-West roof on the pitch roof this is nonsense also if you have shading issues that can be a problem it can knock out the whole string I like to fronius inverters we have tried many other ones I think the panel manufacturer should be kept in mind as well but you need to have them do a shading analysis for you and I disagree with is getting three bids it’s nonsense we never bid in an auction we are not the cheapest price we are just the best if you feel very comfortable with the installer you should negotiate with them and forget all this common dialogue about three bids it’s nonsense check your installers references several of them and one is that they had problems with and how was it resolved

Thanks for that perspective Ed.

The facts regarding due east and west facing installs, is that you will lose approx 15% compared to a due north facing install (in southern hemisphere, and changes a bit depending on pitch). If choice is between that, or a) expensive and ugly tilt frames, or b) not getting solar, seems a no brainer. Especially with the price of panels being low enough to oversize the inverter (as is the case here) to compensate for the loss.

The reason we recommend getting three quotes, is not to get the price down in an auction, it is to make sure you are talking to enough installers in order to get someone you are comfortable with that has good references. Too often people get pressured into buying the first quote they receive from pushy sales people. However, if you do find a local installer with good references then I agree, no need to look further. @Ekelly234, that advice is about avoiding getting trapped by large solar companies pushing their cheap wares, before looking around.

1 Like

Hi @Bec

Did you end up getting your system installed? We would be interested to know how it went.

What was the name of the installation company you ended up using, and would you recommend them? Would you be able to share any photos?

Cheers
Marty

Canadian Solar Pros & Cons
:heavy_check_mark: Well-built, consistent dimensions.
:heavy_check_mark:Variety of models offering competitive efficiency ratings.
:heavy_check_mark:Large, vertically integrated Tier 1 company making all solar components in house.
:heavy_check_mark:Shipping gigawatts of solar panels.
:heavy_check_mark:Most heavily involved in using their own panels on their own solar farms.
:heavy_check_mark:Local office to handle warranty even if your retailer/installer has disappeared.

☒They’re not Canadian at all.
☒Few models are offered in an install-friendly width, most are 1130mm or 1300mm wide, making them difficult to handle and easy to damage.