Growatt inverter review | 5000tl-x

Hi All,
Could I have some opinions on the Growatt 5000tl-x-solar-inverter… It’s for a residential house.

CLICK HERE to get a solar quote from a Clean Energy Reviews install partner

Hi Owen,

The new generation Growatt inverters do seem to be an improvement over the older version, which had reports of relatively high failure rates from installers. Which is good news as according to Solar Power World in 2019 Growatt is the 4th biggest inverter supplier in the Asia Pacific region, and number 1 in India.

Growatt has a range of single phase residential inverters, from 750W (MIC 750TL-X) to 6kW MIN 600TL-X. They also have 3 phase residential options from the 3kW 3000TL3-S up to the 11kW 11000TL3-S)

I would recommend Sungrow as the best low cost option. Sungrow is a similar price but has a very good reputation. You can read about the best solar inverters here:

1 Like

OPTION 1: 4.56 SYSTEM – EGGING MONO 380 WATTS – EG-(SERIES)M72-CV (12-13 pannels)
Inverter – GROWATT - MIN5000TL-X 5KW

OPTION 2: Sungrow - SG3K-D/SG5K-D

1. Growatt or Sungrow inverter?
  2. Are these Egging pannels ok?
System Cost $7,402
Less STC Rebate - $2,252
Price $5,150
Solar Victorian Rebate (If Eligible) -$2225.00
Total of the Investment $2,925
Solar Victoria Loan (0% Interest) -$2225.00
Out of Pocket Cost $700

Th $700 is for the double storey and Tericcota roof install…and a little for the better inverter.

Thanks Svarky… ill probably go with the Sungrow and get the S100 Energy meter…
What about the pannels?

Hi Owen,

I have never heard of egging panels so I’m assuming you mean EGing panels. I generally never go with an unknown brand with no proven track record and we have no experience or knowledge of these panels. For piece of mind, I suggest you stick with the well-known solar panels manufacturers such as those listed here.

Are you able to recommend panels that would work well with the inverters ive chosen?
Same standard/ Level?

These are just the common panel specifications… There is nothing here to provide any confidence in the manufacturing quality or long term performance.

I noticed these are larger format panels which are typically used for commercial system, not residential systems. Strange that the installer is suggesting these panels. Do you have a very limited roof area?

Thoughts on these options ?
Option1.
3.78kW solar power system
12 panel,comprising tier one Trina Honey 315W modules.
No Smart meter.
Zeversolar inverter for $3950 .
Or a Fronius inverter - total price to $4,670..

Option 2.

1. 12 x 400w Seraphim panels…
  2. Here’s your 4.8kW solar system quotation
  3. with 5 x tigo optimisers,
  4. Sungrow inverter, Smart meter,
  5. Double storey and terracotta allowance
  6. The total price is $3800 but if you take the loan of $2225 it will be $1575 upfront.

Option 3.

4. Goodwe 5000dns (no smart meter)
  6. The total price is $3100 but if you take the loan of $2225 it will be $875 upfront.

Yes i do have a limited roof area… can only fit 12-13 max facing n, w, & E… Possibly just n & w.

www.dosolar.com.au Thats the company

How many panels can fit on each roof face? 12-13 across all roof sections or just North?

split between the 3 faces.
Also i want a mid rang inverter that has a good mobile APP to monitor the system… ive read a few reviews good and bad… seem to be going round in circles.
thoughts?

I can’t believe these companies quoted a normal string inverter with your roof. Only 5 north facing panels will not have enough voltage to even start the inverter!

You really need to go with micro-inverters with this roof layout. Enphase micro’s are really the only option for your roof, especially considering the shading from the rooftop evaporative cooler.

No installer or company quotes has even mentioned utilising micro inverters :disappointed_relieved:

Thoughts on these options ?
Option1.
3.78kW solar power system
12 panel,comprising tier one Trina Honey 315W modules.
No Smart meter.
Zeversolar inverter for $3950 .
Or a Fronius inverter - total price to $4,670. .

Option 2.

4. Sungrow inverter, Smart meter,
  6. The total price is $3800 but if you take the loan of $2225 it will be $1575 upfront.

Option 3.

4. Goodwe 5000dns (no smart meter)
  6. The total price is $3100 but if you take the loan of $2225 it will be $875 upfront.